The 19th annual AH135 will be Jan 30th to Feb 1st, 2023. Gear check will be Jan 28th/29th.
Completing one of the below accomplishments would typically qualify an entrant for this year’s Arrowhead Winter Ultra; however, entry is not guaranteed. The race directors reserve the right to change the rules in the interest of safety and sportsmanship or for any reason deemed appropriate by the race officials. The race directors reserve the right to select entrants based on other important considerations, as well as due to the requirements of insurers, sponsors, the Minnesota State DNR and other regulatory agencies.
Basically, we look for both endurance and cold weather experience. Below are general guidelines – race veterans and volunteers get preference for entry.
Qualifying activities for runners:
- Completing a prior Arrowhead 135, Tuscobia 160 or similar race.
- Finishing 100 mile foot race or completed multi-sport event, including a 100 mile run. A race in winter conditions improves your odds of being selected and surviving.
Qualifying activities for bikers:
- Complete a prior Arrowhead 135, Tuscobia 160, Susitna, or similar race.
- Finishing 24 hour bike race, with minimum of 100 miles completed for off-road, or 200 miles on road. A race in winter conditions improves your odds of being selected and surviving.
Qualifying activities for skiers:
- Complete a prior Arrowhead 135, Tuscobia 160, or similar race.
- Finishing a 24 hour ski race with a minimum of 100 miles completed.
There are lots of articles, stories, and photo albums from racers, reporters, and volunteers. Go read them all.