Arrowhead 2010 Results
The 2010 Arrowhead 135 mile event was the first Monday of February 1st through Wednesday the 3rd.
Bike, foot or ski. The 2010 event took place in a mass start at 7:03 am Monday on the Blue Ox trail/Arrowhead trailhead in downtown International Falls, MN USA aka “Frostbite Falls”. The Nations Icebox.
Temps at the start in 2010 were pretty darn cold, -21F at start, maybe near 0F midday, dropped to -20F degrees at dusk on the trail. The wind was calm and the moon close to full. Wolf spectators were watching on the trail. Racers and sled drivers spotted a huge wolf standing on the trail, the leaders had and injured wolf jogging ahead on the trail for 10-15 minutes or so about mid-race.
Of 102 starters, a record 61 finishers under 60 hours. Apparently it was too easy.
- 38 of 52 bikers finished
- 19 of 45 on foot finished
- 4 of 5 skiers finished
- 2 of 5 women finished
- First biker, first overall- Jeff Oatley of Alaska started 7:03 am Mon. and finished at 23:20 Mon. night for a total time of 16 hours 17 minutes.
- Bikers, Pete Basinger and David Pramann were within seconds of the first finisher for second and third place in a fairly dramatic sprint finish.
- First woman biker, well-known Alaskan Adventure-Woman, Janice Tower of Alaska established a new course record of 26h 46 min.
- First foot, Zach Gingerich, finished at 21:02 Tuesday in 37h 59min for a new course record.
- First skier, Jim Reed arrived at 11:50am Wed. in 52h 47min.
- Youngest Finisher- Christian Arel age 17, finished on bike on Wed. We will no longer recognize a “youngest” category.
- Lone Wolf award went to Bill Bradley for arriving last at the Melgeorges checkpoint.
- Last finisher, John Taylor on foot completed the Arrowhead at 18:14 on Wed. in 59h 11min.